Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh – Đề số 15 (Có đáp án)
(1-3). Choose the word whose bold part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. a. sunrise b. shut c. business d. summer
2. a. cheap b. child c. chair d. chef
3. a. lift b. sign c. light d. might
(4-5). Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
II. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
(6-25). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. _______ Christmas Eve, people often have parties at midnight.
7. Are you satisfied______the result of the final test?
8. Constantly staying in cold weather may bring_____pneumonia.
9. It’s raining very hard, so our meeting has to be_____till next Sunday.
a. put off
b. put down
c. put up
d. put away
10. I was named______my grandfather.
11. Garlic is a plant that grows ______ there is a warm_ climate.
12. We decided______out because of the bad weather.
a. to not go
b. not go
c. not to go
d. not going
13. I don’t know him______ to borrow money from him.
a. enough good
b. good enough
c. enough well
d. well enough
14. When we were children we_______ skating every winter.
a. had gone
b. were going
d. would go
15. You_____ forget what I told you. It’s very important.
a. may not b. don’t have to
16. We don’t see each other very often because he works on a farm that is____.
a. far 20 miles
b. 20 miles far
c. away 20 miles
d. 20 miles away
17. We decided to go out for dinner ______ it was raining very heavily.
c. even if
18. It’s no good______to him – he never listens.
b. to talk
19. Don’t forget to come here in time,_____?
a. can you
b. will you
c. do you
d. are you
20. By next year, we _____ here for ten years.
b. have lived
c. will live
d. will have lived
21. The police had to let her _____ because of insufficient evidence.
b. to go
22. I have two history books, but _____ are about American history.
a. none of them
b. all of them
c. neither of them
d. most of them
23. _____ his childhood in Oslo, he knew the city well.
c. Having spent
d. To have spent
24. She wanted to know________ in my spare time.
a. what I did
b. what did I do
c. what I do
d. what do I do
25. ‘What about meeting at the school gate at eight?’ ‘Good! __________ ’
a. Glad to see you
b. I’ll see you.
c. See you then.
d. I see.
(26-30). Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting.
26. Many(A) people agree that writing (B) letters are (C) a nice way of keeping in (D) touch.
27. We are going to(A) have a meeting about(B) the pollution in (C) our neighborhood in (D) Friday morning.
28. Every letter and parcel are(A) carefully checked before posting(B) to make (C) sure it has (D) the correct address.
29. Anyone who(A) wants (B) to attend the class ought register (C) as soon as possible (D).
30. We wish tomorrow will(A) be a sunny(B) day so that we could (C) go for a picnic (D) .
(31-35). Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence.
31. Farmers often_______ their soil by adding fertilizers, (rich)
32. My grandparents live ________ at the age of 70. (health)
33. ______ made different styles of jeans to match the 1960s’ fashions, (design)
34. It was_________ of him to let the door open, (care)
35. It would be more_________to switch the machine off at night, (economy),
(36-45). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
A volcano is an opening in the earth’s surface through (36)________ lava, hot gases, and rock fragments erupt. Such an opening (37)________ when melted rock from deep within the earth blasts through the surface. Most volcanoes are atop mountains, (38)______ cone-shaped mountains. The mountains themselves are also called volcanoes. Eruptions of volcanic mountains are (39)________ sights. In some eruptions, huge fiery clouds rise over the mountain, and glowing rivers of lava flow down______ (40) sides. In other eruptions, red-hot (41)________ and cinders shoot out the mountaintop, and large chunks of hot rock are blasted high (42)______ the air. A few eruptions are so (43)______ that they blow the mountain apart. Some eruptions occur on volcanic islands. (44)_______ islands are the tops of volcanic mountains that have been built up from the ocean floor by repeated eruptions. Other eruptions occur along narrow (45)________in the ocean floor.
41. a. ash
(46-50). Read the passage below carefully and choose the correct answer a, b, c or d.
Behaviour connected with the body can be confusing because of social differences. In Muslim cultures, for example, people avoid using the left hand to give and receive. Many people in these cultures eat only with the right hand and they might consider you impolite if you use your left. But if you are given a business card in a in a country like Singapore, and you don’t accept it with both hands, you’ll be showing disrespect and a lack of interest in the person giving the card. In Britain, shaking hands is common between business people but is becoming less common in social situations these days (and then often only the first time you are introduced). The Italians kiss and shake hands (but be careful, it’s twice – once on each cheek), the Belgians may kiss three times, alternating from cheek to cheek, and the French?
46. Muslims will think you are rude if you ____________ .
a. use your right hand to eat
b. present gifts with your right hand
c. eat only with the left hand
d. use your left hand for eating
47. What should be taken with both hands in Singapore?
b. a business card
d. a postcard
48. In Britain, shaking hands is common_________ .
a. in business and social situations
b. in social situations
c. in non-business situations
d. in business situations
49. How many times do Italians kiss when meeting? .
c. three times
d .four times
50. Which of the following sentences is NOT mentioned?
a. Business cards should be accepted with both hands.
b. Don’t use the left hand to eat, give and recieve.
c. Hugging is a common greeting among friends and family.
d. Handshakes are for first time meetings.
(51-55). Choose the best sentence (a, b, c or d) made from the given cues.
51. I write/ connection/ pair of shoes/ purchase/ last month//
a. I’m writing to you in connection with a pair of shoes that I purchased last month.
b. I write to you in connection to a pair of shoes which I purchased last month.
c. I’m writing to you connection with a pair of shoes that I purchased last month.
d. I write to you in connection with a pair of shoes that I’ve purchased last month.
52. The manager/ recommend/ shoes/ jogging/ non-slip soles//
a. The manager recommended these shoes for jogging though they had non-slip soles.
b. The manager recommended these shoes to go jogging for they had non-slip soles.
c. The manager recommended these shoes for jogging as they had non-slip soles.
d. The manager recommended these shoes for jogging so they had non-slip soles.
53. I wear/ shoes/ jogging/ several occasions/ yet/ non-slip soles/ complete/ smooth//a
a. I have only worn these shoes for jogging several occasions, yet the non-slip soles have gone complete smooth.
b. I have only worn these shoes for jogging on several occasions, yet the non-slip soles have gone completely smooth.
c. I only worn these shoes for jogging on several occasions, yet the non-slip soles have complete smooth.
d. I worn these shoes for jogging only several occasions, yet the non-slip soles have completely smooth.
54. Moreover/ when/ purchase/ shoes/ dark brown color/ but now/ faded shabby appearance//
a. Moreover, when purchased the shoes were dark brown color, but now they have a faded, shabby appearance.
b. Moreover, when purchasing the shoes were dark brown color, but now they have a faded, shabby appearance.
c. Moreover, when they purchased the shoes were dark brown color, but now they have a faded, shabby appearance.
d. Moreover, when they are purchasing the shoes were dark brown color, but now they have a faded, shabby appearance.
55. I enclose/ receipt/ $50/ grateful/ refund/ replacement/ pair/ higher quality//
a. I enclose a receipt for $50 and would be grateful to a refund or replacement pair of higher quality.
b. I enclose the receipt of $50 and would be grateful for a refund or replacement pair of higher quality.
c. I enclose the receipt of $50 and would be grateful to a refund or replacement pair of higher quality.
d. I enclose the receipt for $50 and would be grateful for a refund or replacement pair of higher quality.
(56-60). Rewrite the sentences so that they are nearest in meaning to the sentence printed before them.
56. The program was so interesting that none of us wanted to turn the TV off.
It was _______________________________________________________
57. Nobody has maintained the ancient houses for at least sixty years.
The ancient houses ____________________________________________
58. They spend half an. hour watching the news on TV every day.
59. ‘Will I ever buy such a house?’ Tom said to himself.
60. I’m fond of Johnny although he behaves terribly.
In spite _______________________________________________________
6. c 7. d 8. d 9. a 10. a
11. a 12. c 13. d 14. d
15. d 16. d 17. d 18. c
19. b 20. d 21. a 22. c
23. c 24. a 25. c
26. C (is)
27. D (on)
28. A (is)
29. C (ought to register)
30. A (would)
36. b 37. c 38. a 39. d 40. b
41. a 42. c 43. d 44. d 45. a
46. d 47. b 48. d 49. b 50. c
56. It was such an interesting program that none of us wanted to turn the TV off.
57. The ancient houses haven’t been maintained for at least sixty years.
58. It takes them half an hour to watch the news on TV every day.
59. Tom wondered if/ whether he would buy such a house.
60. In spite of Johnny’s terrible behavior I’m fond of him.