Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh – Đề số 16 (Có đáp án)
(1-3). Choose the word whose underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. future b. survive c. voluntary d. furniture
2. secret b. season c. serious d. sure
3. threat b. those c. thank d. thin
(4-5). Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
II. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
(6-25). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. Do you believe ______ flying saucers?
7. Valentine’s Day is celebrated________ February 14.
8. He passed his final exam _______
9. I was delighted ______ the present you gave me.
10. The accident was my fault, so I had to pay for the damage______ the other car.
11. We arranged to meet at 7.30, but she never turned________ .
12. Not wanting to be late for my first class, _______ to school after I missed my bus.
a. so I ran
b. because I ran
c. I ran
d. therefore, I ran
13. Would you please_____ over my composition for spelling errors?
b. to read
d. to reading
14. If I had________ , I’d visit USA, stopping at all the interesting places.
a. a long enough holiday
b. an enough long holiday
c. a holiday enough long
d. a long holiday enough
15.______ of the newspapers in the world are written in English.
a. Three quarter
b. Three fourths
c. Three fourth
d. Third four
16. He is very______ . He is always willing to help everyone.
17. James has two brothers. One is a doctor,_________ is an engineer.
b. the other
d. other one
18. She had to do the household chores by herself,__________? .
a. didn’t she
b. hadn’t she
c. wasn’t she
d. doesn’t she
19. She _____ this new word in the dictionary to make sure that she could pronounce it correctly.
a. looked for
b. looked up
c. looked afterr
d. looked over
20. The stories of Washington made him_________ in the history of America.
d. be interested
21. The farmers were sure that they_______ another good harvest the next year.
b. had had
c. will have
d. would have
22. What______to the forest of the U.S. in the last 350 years?
a. is happening
b. is happened
c. has happened
d. was happened
23. George showed me some pictures _____ by his father.
c. they were painted
d. that painted
24. I used to enjoy the summer_______ we had a big family picnic.
25. It’s high time we ______ him like a child.
a. stop treating
b. stop to treat
c. stopped treating
d. stopped to treat
(26-30). Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, c or D] that needs correcting.
26. If (A) I could (B) speak Spanish, I will spend (C) next year studying (D) in Mexico.
27. I’d (A) like buying (B) a new dictionary but (C) I don’t have enough money (D).
28. My father said that (A) he is going(B) to come and see (C) us on Sunday.
29. Bowling, one of the most popular (A) indoor sport(B) , is (C) popular all over the United States and in other (D)countries.
30. If (A) you move quiet (B), you can (C) see small wild (D) animals in this area.
(31-35). Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence.
31. Do you feel______ and relaxed at the party? (comfort)
32. The accident ________ him for life, (deaf)
33. The plane landed__________ after a violent storm, (safe)
34. It is_______ for all motorcyclists to wear helmets, (compel)
35. He has a wide_________ of painting and music, (know)
(36-45). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d] that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
The human race is only one small species in the living world. Many other species (36)____ on this planet. However, human beings have a great influence on the (37)_____ of the world. They are changing the environment by building cities and villages (38)______ forests once stood. They are changing weather (39)_______ by cutting down trees in the forests. And they are destroying the air by adding (40) _____ to it.
It can be said that human beings are changing the environment in all (41) _____ through their actions and by their habits. This has (42)_______ in two serious consequences. The first is that many kinds of rare animals are killed. The second is that the environment where these animals are living is (43) _______ destroyed. As a result, the number of rare animals is (44)_____ so rapidly that they are in danger of (45)_______ .
(46-50). Read the passage below carefully and choose the correct answer a, b, c or d.
With the invention of the microcomputer, a computer can now be purchased for as little as a few hundred dollars. Taking advantage of this situation, quite a few secondary schools, even kindergartens, have already begun to use computers. Many other schools, however, are hesitating to introduce computer science onto the school curriculum. They wonder if students, especially younger ones, will able to use these complicated machines. They also fear that they may only be suitable for youngsters who are good at math. “What about slower students?” they ask. Will computers make learning even more difficult for them? Then again, will learning with a computer be boring?
Schools that are actually using computers are discovering answer to these questions. Surprisingly, students who are only 6 to 7 years of age are taking to the machines like fish to water. They are not only finding them easy to use, but they are also finding them fascinating.
46. Nowadays, we can get a computer________ .
a. at a very high price
b. at a real price
c. at an affordable price
d. at a competitive price
47. According to the passage, schools_________ .
a. have already begun to use computers
b. are hesitating about using computers
c. have different ideas about using computers
d. a and b are correct
48. To many teachers, who are better at using computers?
a. children from 4 to 6 years of age
b. slow students
c. mature students
d. students who are good at math
49. Students who are 6 to 7 years of age__________ .
a. hate using computers
b. enjoy using computers
c. use computers for fun
d. are unable to use computers
50. What is the writer’s attitude toward the use of computers in schools?
(51-55). Choose the sentence (a, b, c or d) that is almost the same in meaning as the sentence given.
51. Mike hasn’t touched a book since the semester began.
a. Mike hasn’t gone to the library.
b. Mike hasn’t begun the semester.
c. Mike hasn’t bought any books.
d. Mike hasn’t studied at all this semester.
52. Why don’t you ask her yourself?
a. Tell me why you don’t ask her yourself.
b. I want to know why you ask her yourself.
c. I advise you to ask her yourself
d. I suggest you ask her yourself
53. The music was so loud that we couldn’t hear what you said.
a. You didn’t say loud enough for us to hear.
b. Because of the loud music, we couldn’t hear you.
c. The music was too loud for us to hear.
d. The music was too loud that we couldn’t hear you.
54. Hardly anybody applied for the job.
a. Nobody applied for the job because it was hard.
b. There were very few applicants for the job.
c. Anybody found it hard to apply for the job.
d. Anybody mostly applied for the job.
55. Most of the people in the village prefer the city life.
a. Everyone in the village prefers the city life.
b. ‘No one in the village like living here.
c. Not everyone in the village prefers living in the city.
d. Few people in the village prefer living in the city.
(56-60). Rewrite the sentences so that they are nearest in meaning to the sentence printed before them.
56. Lisa has always been mean with money, so she doesn’t have many friends.
57. I can’t speak French as well as Alain.
58. Despite knowing the area well, I got lost.
59. The trip was terrifically exciting to the students.
The students felt__________________________________________________
60. It isn’t necessary to finish all your homework tonight.
6. b 7. c 8. a 9. c 10. c
11. b 12. c 13. a 14. a
15. b 16. d 17. b 18. a
19. b 20. c 21. d 22. c
23. b 24. b 25. c
26. C (would)
27. B (to buy)
28. B (was going)
29. B (sports)
30. B (quietly)
36. b 37. c 38. a 39. d 40. b
41. c 42. a 43. d 44. b 45. c
46. c 47. c 48. d 49. b 50. a
56. If Lisa wasn’t/ weren’t so mean with money, she’d have a lot more friends.
57. Alain speaks French better than I can.
58. Even though I knew the area well, I got lost.
59. The students felt terrifically excited about the trip.
60. You don’t need to finish all your homework tonight.