Đề thi vào lớp 10 môn tiếng Anh – Đề số 8 (Có đáp án)
(1-3). Choose the word whose underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. a. pipe b. sight c. mineral d. pilot
2. a. flood b. typhoon c. food d. tool
3. a. option b. question c. pollution d. collection
(4-5). Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
II. GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
(6-20). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. She’s extremely well qualified______ the job.
7. He is very capable________ learning and understanding things.
8. Put______ the cigarette, please. I don’t like the smell of it.
9. ______ the wet weather, the football match went ahead.
b. Owing to
c. Because of
10. Many designers took from Vietnamese’s ethnic minorities.
11. She spoke quietly_______ nobody else could hear a word.
c. so that
12. My pen friend,_____ photos I showed you, will come to see me next week.
13. He lent me several books, but_______ of them was interesting.
14. My father will have a_______ holiday next month. We’ll go to Nha Trang.
a. five days
d. five day’s
15. Nowadays more and more people are shopping on the_________ .
16. She lives in New York, but she_________ in Washington D.C. right now.
c. is working
d. has worked
17. It was pleasant to meet________ interesting people.
18. The house was to live in, so we moved to a bigger one.
a. small enough for us
b. too small for us
c. enough small for us
d. so small to us
19. I told you_______ the computer, didn’t I?
a. don’t switch off
b. not switch off
c. not to switch off
d. to not switch off
20. ‘Can I help you?’ ‘ ______ ’
a. I’m sorry you can’t.
b. No, it’s all righ. I can manage,
c. Not for me. Thank you.
d. I’d rather you couldn’t.
(21-25). Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting.
21. Some artists havefew(A) or (B) no formal (C) art training (D).
22. All employees are required to wear their identification badges in work.
23. I suggest(A) that he will go (B) to the doctor as soon as (C) he returns (D) from school.
24. Oxygen plays (A) an important(B) role in maintaining(C) live (D).
25. When(A) George returned (B) to (C) his house, he was reading (D) a book.
(26-30). Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence.
26. You can not work all the time. You need some rest and_______. (relax)
27. The kids were________about the holiday, (excite)
28. She is so busy with ________activities that she has no time for entertainment, (society)
29. Many rivers have been found_______with filthy waste from factories, (pollute)
30. A helmet affords the cyclist some degree of_______ against injury, (protect)
(31-38). Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
One of the (31)____ things that can happen on our earth is an earthquake. When earthquakes happen near large cities, many people may be killed and many buildings are (32)_____ down. Fire may start and do more damage than the quake (33)_____. Earthquake comes (34)_____ a shaking of the rocks under the surface of the earth. Forces within the earth push against the rocks (35)____________ ; they break. Sometimes, the earth above the break will split open. We cannot tell exactly (36)_____ an earthquake is coming, but we can know places on the earth where they happen most often. Much (37)________ is stopped by building stronger buildings in these places. As many as a million earthquakes may happen in a year, but most of them do no damage (38) _______ they under the sea.
c. in case
(39-43). Read the passage below carefully and choose the correct answer a, b, c or d.
People who travel frequently on business or for pleasure often suffer some form of health problem, yet over half of these problems can easily be prevented. The most common ailment, a headache, can be avoided by taking along an ample supply of aspirin or other pain reliever. Another common affliction is motion sickness caused by the constant movement of a vehicle. Ginger capsules, sold in most health-food stores, have been found effective as a remedy. Other familiar problems include sunburn, which can be prevented by using an effective sunscreen, and insect bites, which can be controlled with use of a repellent spray or ointment. For everyday cuts and scratches, a first-aid kit containing bandages and antiseptic cream is recommended.
39. What is the best title for this passage?
a. Frequent Travelers
b. Avoiding Travel Ailments
c. Common Health Problems
d. Traveling for Business or Pleasure
40. According to the passage, travelers are most commonly bothered by_________ .
b. motion sickness
c. insect bites
41. In line 4, the word ‘affliction’ can best be replaced by___________ .
42. According to the passage, what can be used to remedy motion sickness?
a. A moving vehicle
c. Ginger capsules
d. A first-aid kit
43. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as a solution to health problem?
b. Cold cream
c. Repellent spray
(44-46). Choose the sentence (a, b, c or d) that is almost the same in meaning as the sentence given.
44. We’ve never seen a prettier flower display.
a. This flower display isn’t as pretty as those we’ve seen.
b. This is the prettiest flower display we’ve ever seen.
c. This flower display is prettier than some we’ve ever seen.
d. This is one of the prettiest flower displays we’ve ever seen.
45. I don’t have a map, so I can’t show you the way.
a. Unless you give me a map, I won’t show you the way
b. I would have a map if I showed you the way.
c. I would show you the way if I had a map.
d. Unless you have a map, I can show you the way.
46. John had better go before it gets dark.
a. It’s getting dark now, and John should go.
b. John must left right away because it gets dark.
c. John should go while it’s still daylight.
d. It’s better for Bob to leave in darkness.
(47-50). Write complete sentences using the suggested words.
47. We really/ enjoy/ fireworks/ which/ display/ New Year’s Eve/ last year
48. Scientists/ think/ how/ use/ rise/ fall/ tide/ produce/ electricity
49. Minh/ wish/ can speak/ English/ fluent/ as/, native speaker
50. We/ not see/ Martin/ since/ we/ leave/ college
21. A (little)
22. D (at)
23. B (goes/ go/ should go)
24. D (life)
25. D (read)
47. We really enjoyed the firework which was displayed on New Year’s Eve last year.
48. Scientists are thinking of how to use the rise and fall of the tide to produce electricity.
49. Minh wishes he could speak English fluently as a native speaker.
50. We haven’t seen Martin since we left the college.